Intellectual Property Counsel
Focus on protection of products on the roadmap and the necessary technology for possible products in the future.
As an IP Counsel at Sonion, you are responsible for creating and exploiting the Intellectual Property Portfolio. You are focused on the protection of current and new products on the roadmap, and protection of key inventions for the necessary technology for possible products in the future, in alignment with Sonion IP Strategy. You will investigate and facilitate that company products do not infringe IP of other companies. You manage acquired or licensed patent portfolios from partners and customers in all business areas.
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Facilitating the generation of new inventions in R&D departments for a focused IP creation to protect products based on IP creation plan, product and technology road maps;
- Facilitating towards the best possible disclosures of inventions through Invention Registration Forms (IRF’s);
- Contributing to formulating proposals for decisions on invention disclosures;
- Drafting patent applications inhouse with appropriate support of inventors; if needed, guiding the drafting of patent applications by external counsels in target geographies such as the U.S., Europe and Asia;
- Prepare responses to examination reports from patent offices worldwide;
- Instruct external agents in matters regarding prosecution of patent applications;
- Advise on possible processes and costs optimization;
- Tracking, monitoring and/or improving everything needed to maintain and optimize the IP position of Sonion;
- Working with IP management system and ensuring that all data and documentation relating to the patent actions (including patent disputes), that are important to preserve the patent position of Sonion, is complete and up to date;
- Preparing patent landscapes and patent analysis for new products;
- Analyzing IP competitive reports and advise based on those reports;
- Supporting internal stakeholders to avoid conflicts on IP matters.
- A Master’s degree in Physics, Micro & Nano Technology, Mechanics or Electronics, or similar, experience with Acoustic and/or biometric technologies is an advantage;
- Qualified European Patent Attorney;
- Knowledge of trademarks and industrial designs is an advantage;
- Experience with IP management systems, patent databases, prior art searches and freedom-to-operate opinions;
- Excellent collaborative skills in working with internal experts and external counsels;
- Able to work independently and take decisions on his/her own;
- Well organized and structured way of working;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, regarding very detailed and complicated technical issues involving intellectual property with external parties;
- Good communication skills both verbal and written in English, mastering the specific language both from a technical and patent perspective;
Equally important to your knowledge and experience is the personality you bring. Your enthusiasm makes you a great team member; you are supportive, proactive and result-driven. You interact and communicate effectively with a wide variety of people with different backgrounds.
Sonion improves the quality of life of people using hearing products. We are striving and committed to be the preferred partner in the development and manufacturing of transducers and electromechanical solutions designed for (professional) use in hearing instruments, in-ear earphones and hearables. Size matters, and we constantly challenge the laws of physics for making small and reliable products. Our outstanding competences within customer focused innovation and development, and our lengthy experience in efficient manufacturing make us successful.
Sonion has facilities in Denmark, the Netherlands, Vietnam, the Philippines, Poland, USA and China, wherefrom our (more than 6000) colleagues work together across all locations.
We offer a 1 year contract for 40 hours per week. Next to that, we offer a compensation package that matches your qualifications, including a competitive salary, 27 vacation days, 13 rota free days and 8% holiday allowance. But more importantly, Sonion is a working environment that provides you with the opportunity to steadily further develop. Along with your manager you will regularly reflect on and make plans for your development and interests. We are an international organization where it is easy to connect with colleagues.
Further information and application
Please submit your application in English to jobsatsonionNL@sonion.com Any questions? You are welcome to contact Nicky Janmaat-Piepers at email@example.com. You can also call Nicky: +31 (0) 6 11 80 24 54. As part of our recruitment process, we will process your personal data, as set out in our Recruitment Privacy Notice. An assessment and reference check will be part of the procedure.